Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Just sharpened the blade of my plane

On 1/4/2021 5:44 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Understood. Ron Paulk tends to be very wordy and draggy. Hes explains
minute details and changes to his system but gives a 15 minute preamble
to explain how and why. And the how and why is normally painfully obvious.
Three Parts of a Sermon, circa early 1900's

"In the first part I tell em what I am going to tell em; in the second part€”well, I tell em;
in the third part I tell em what Ive told em.€¯

I know there are some pithy sayings about repeating yourself over and over again. But I can't remember them right now. And in your case about sermons, where you are concerned with God and Devil and Heaven and Hell and eternal bliss or damnation, it might make some sense to repeat the same thing three times.

I got the one about "You tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, you tell
'em, and you tell 'em what you told 'em" from Staff Sergeant Herbert
Schmick, USMC. I have found it very sound advice.

It's not that you repead it over and over though, it's that you prep
them for the lesson, give the lesson, and then remind them of the key
points.

Absolutely, some variation of that works. With some job I'd tell them,
show them watch them.