Joseph Meehan

Default Does having an Expansion Tank on your Water Heater make the water meter move?

Cameron wrote:
Hi there. I just moved into a new home and got hit with an incredibly
enormous water bill. I checked my water meter and could see the little
dial moving - not all the time but every 10 seconds or so it would
move forward. Sometimes it moves backwards but never enough to make up
for the forward movement. I have made sure all water is off in the
house and have done visual checks for leaks as well as a dye test in
the toilets. I called a plumber over and he said this motion is caused
by the expansion tank on my water heater. Low and behold when he
turned off the expansion tank the motion stopped completely. He told
me that this is normal for expansion tanks to cause this motion -
however he said the movement forward and back should be equal. I have
not noticed this. Can anyone verify if their expansion tank causes the
same forward motion on the meter?

thanks so much.

I suspect you need to talk to the water company as the meter should be
neutral to any effect from the expansion tank.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math