Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default how much more should I keep rewashing this blanket! UPDATE

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 13:43:56 -0500, Witherspoon wrote:

On 1/4/21 11:34 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/4/2021 8:30 AM, Witherspoon wrote:
A quick update on this comforter.* After thoroughly drying it last
night, I was going to try it out on the bed, but it still had a smell
so decided to try a vinegar, baking soda, soap soak in the sink
overnight. Today, still some brown residue so drained, filled and did
several hand washes and rinses.* No matter how many times rinsed,
still some brown residue.* It looks like small particles in the water
each time.* Only guess I can make is that something in the comforter
is dissolving each time it is washed.* Maybe the dissolving started
when it was in the bin in outdoor protected storage so long.* Anyway,
trashed it after 6 or so times trying to wash in the sink.* Time to
get a new one.

Did you cut it open to see what is inside? We want to know.

You know, I thought about it and still could as trash pick up won't be
until tomorrow. Therefore, I will cut it open to find out and report
back.

Right now, I just got done washing a down throw that was in the same
bin. It was dirty, much like the comforter, but after a single wash,
there was no significant discoloration of the rinse water after the
second rinse (a bit discolored after the first). It is drying now. So
that points to something dissolving in the comforter even more. Enough
theory, time to cut one of the squares and see.....

Maybe it was something that used to be alive and the discoloration was
blood. When you cut it open, don't release the Kraken.