Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default how much more should I keep rewashing this blanket! UPDATE

On 1/4/2021 10:51 AM, Witherspoon wrote:
On 1/4/21 1:43 PM, Witherspoon wrote:
On 1/4/21 11:34 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 1/4/2021 8:30 AM, Witherspoon wrote:
A quick update on this comforter.Â* After thoroughly drying it last
night, I was going to try it out on the bed, but it still had a
smell so decided to try a vinegar, baking soda, soap soak in the
sink overnight. Today, still some brown residue so drained, filled
and did several hand washes and rinses.Â* No matter how many times
rinsed, still some brown residue.Â* It looks like small particles in
the water each time.Â* Only guess I can make is that something in the
comforter is dissolving each time it is washed.Â* Maybe the
dissolving started when it was in the bin in outdoor protected
storage so long.Â* Anyway, trashed it after 6 or so times trying to
wash in the sink.Â* Time to get a new one.

Did you cut it open to see what is inside? We want to know.

You know, I thought about it and still could as trash pick up won't be
until tomorrow.Â* Therefore, I will cut it open to find out and report
back.

Right now, I just got done washing a down throw that was in the same
bin.Â* It was dirty, much like the comforter, but after a single wash,
there was no significant discoloration of the rinse water after the
second rinse (a bit discolored after the first).Â* It is drying now.
So that points to something dissolving in the comforter even more.
Enough theory, time to cut one of the squares and see.....

Ok, so cut open one of the end squares near the edge.Â* Appears to be a
flat, white poly filling (probably pretty much flat because I hadn't
tried drying it this time).Â* With the square I cut open, perfectly
white.Â* Seems intact, but when I gently pull it apart, I could see that
the particles I was seeing in the rinse water might be from it.Â* Anyway,
without cutting additional squares, which I'm not going to do now, I
still don't know for a fact what caused the discoloration and odor, but
it has to be some dissolving squares somewhere else in the blanket, or
some extremely dirty ones holding dirt. But that much dirt?

I'm not a washing expert, but out of many things I've washed over the
years, this is the first item I've ever come across that wouldn't come
clean!

At least nobody can say you didn't give it a good try.