Posted to alt.home.repair
Fred Fred is offline

Default alt.home.repair newsgroup statistics for 12/2020

"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
It happens that Ed Pawlowski formulated :
On 1/3/2021 11:21 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 19:54:18 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 16:35:19 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 17:10:19 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 15:50:21 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2021 13:48:42 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 08:50:24 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 1/3/21 3:30 AM, Francis Strelok wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 19:55:03 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

XanaNews Statistic for alt.home.repair. 01/02/2021 14:53:57

From article 852539 (12/01/2020 00:00:06) to article 856384
(12/31/2020
23:47:06)

Number of threads ................... 335
Number of articles .................. 3873
Average articles per thread ......... 11.56
Number of unanswered posts .......... 62

Top Threads

Ranking Articles Subject
------- -------- ----------------------------------
1 130 Vaccine scam
2 107 OT Trump may veto stimulus bill
3 105 OT. Texas Suing Four Other States
4 102 OT. Computer Purchase Advice
5 100 Republicans harass the Michigan Secretary of
State
6 91 Koko the Gorilla
7 89 lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile
whore!
8 85 OT: Silly philosophical quiz
9 79 Trump is conspicuously absent from the list
of
public figures getting a coronavirus vaccine soon
10 58 Suicide War or Flee (Final Trump
Options)
11 57 If face masks really stop Covid, then why
are so
many of us still catching it?
12 53 OT What if trump refuses to leave?
13 53 Houston doctor says half of the nurses in
his unit
don't want COVID-19 vaccine for political reasons
14 52 Info about protecting your home from
democrats...
15 49 Could Trump sink any lower in his
shamelessness!
16 47 Security Cam Catches Poll Workers Bringing
Out
Hidden Ballots After Kicking Out Poll Watchers
17 44 U.K. Becomes First Country to Approve Pfizer
Vaccine
18 43 Average flu deaths per year in the US v
Covid 19
cases so far this year
19 41 Fwd: Vaccine scam
20 41 And yet another lawsuit. Wisconsin.
21 36 Do they still use grassy airports.
22 36 California hospitals are struggling to cope,
appealing for nurses to come and help from other countries
23 34 Barbers
24 34 ****, the Git, the Troll-feeding Senile
HUGE
ASSHOLE!
25 33 Window draft

Interesting, I love seeing stats like this. Thank you!

What is really interesting is that of the 25 top threads, only one
is
about home repair- and it is #25!

Maybe nobody fixes anything anymore. ;-)

The reality is usenet is dying.

I've been on Usenet since 1984 and I think I heard my first "Usenet
is
dying" somewhere around 1988 and continuing ever since. I suppose it
actually is dying, but it's been the slowest possible death. I
reckon
they'll be saying the same 20 years from now.

I only have to point to this group. If it wasn't for a couple dozen
people talking about off topic stuff, there wouldn't be much activity
at all.

In spite of all Arlen bitches about, the actual home repair threads
stay pretty clean here and we do tend to leave our political
differences behind.

I am watching about 10 text groups and
in all of them there are really only about 30-40 people, total,
posting. Only a couple are politics free and they are very much
special interest groups.

The binary groups are virtually dead.

Dead in what way? Lack of idle banter, chatter, and politics? Yes, I
should
hope so. But certainly not dead WRT binary posts. Binary volume is
at
record highs and still growing, year after year.

Dead in the sense that there always used to be tens of thousands of
new headers in the alt.binaries.sounds. ... mp3 groups every week and
now there are only a handful. Some of the other groups collect
nothing
at all.

OK, thanks. Looks like both of your claims fizzled out.

How is that?
which binary groups are booming?
For that matter, except for the political posts in the appropriate or
even inappropriate groups, which text groups are booming?

There are over 100,000 groups. If you know what you're doing, you don't
have to check them one by one.

According to these guys, daily Usenet volume is running around 120GB,
about
double what it was in 2019 and 10 times what it was a decade ago.
Booming
doesn't begin to describe it.

https://newsgroupdirect.com/blog/202...-feed-in-2020/

Never would have guessed. OTOH, they don't give details as to what the
traffic is. Seems most discussion groups have wanted but there may be
some streaming of movies that take up a lot of those bytes.

Yes, and many binaries are sent in chunks distributed across many
individual articles to be stitched back together by the client.

One picture can be worth more than a thousand words.

Yes, but it makes no sense to do pictures that way,
you should use a link to one of the picture servers.