Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default adhesive for model planes

Paul wrote
williamwright wrote
T i m wrote

"Revell Contacta Professional"

Thanks Tim. I'll order some. It isn't for me; it's just that certain
little guys seem to think that Grandad knows everything.

The brands weren't too important when I was a kid.

Yeah, I just used what came with the kit.

The plastic cement was a "solvent glue", that dissolved a bit of the edge
of the work, to join the pieces.

Yes.

The solvent glue presumably being saturated with a similar plastic to what
you were gluing.

Nope.

When it dries, the idea is that the plastic joint should be as strong as
the plastic next to it.

Yes.

(A good store keeps these tubes under the
counter, so glue sniffers don't steal them.)

Not then, no one was sniffing them then.

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/cement...-testors-3501/

The fun part comes, when you get that glue on the windshield of your new
model. And you get a thumbprint there. I don't know how many models I was
given, where the windshield ended up opaque, and the little pilot inside
the plane, couldn't see where he was going.

I notice they have a second compound for that now, which dries "clear as
glass". Now, where is the fun in that ? Some of my friends, who were also
given models, took great pride in putting a filthy great thumbprint on
their windshield.

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/clear-...ker-1-oz-3515/