Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default adhesive for model planes

williamwright wrote:
On 03/01/2021 20:47, T i m wrote:
"Revell Contacta
Professional"

Thanks Tim. I'll order some. It isn't for me; it's just that certain
little guys seem to think that Grandad knows everything.

Bill

The brands weren't too important when I was a kid. The
plastic cement was a "solvent glue", that dissolved a bit
of the edge of the work, to join the pieces. The solvent
glue presumably being saturated with a similar plastic
to what you were gluing. When it dries, the idea is that
the plastic joint should be as strong as the plastic
next to it. (A good store keeps these tubes under the
counter, so glue sniffers don't steal them.)

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/cement...-testors-3501/

The fun part comes, when you get that glue on the windshield
of your new model. And you get a thumbprint there. I don't
know how many models I was given, where the windshield ended up
opaque, and the little pilot inside the plane, couldn't see
where he was going.

I notice they have a second compound for that now, which dries
"clear as glass". Now, where is the fun in that ? Some of my
friends, who were also given models, took great pride in
putting a filthy great thumbprint on their windshield.

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/clear-...ker-1-oz-3515/

Paul