Richard Sterry

Default Landing Light Switch

Bodysnatcher wrote:
Hi All.
Had this annoying problem with our landing light sice we moved in, just
getting round to trying to sort it out, (only ten years!)
In our hall with have a double wall switch that operates the hall light
and the landing light up the stairs. Upstairs there is a single switch
which operates the landing light.
Now unless the upstairs switch is switched on, when you go to switch on
the light from downstairs it doesn't work! Problem is once you are
upstairs you switch it off at night, in the morning when it's light no
need for the light, so you go on your way untill the evening when you are
ready for bed you go to switch the light on and it doesn't work because
you didn't switch it on the night before/morning.
If wired correctly surely it should be switched on downstairs no matter
what position the switch upstairs is at?
Hope this is clear, if so please explain to me as i'm totally confused!!!!
Can some one help or direct me to a website that describes the correct
wiring ?

Snap! Identical situation in our house when we moved in a couple of years
ago. Turned out that a couple of wires were transposed in the downstairs
switch - maybe someone took the switch plate right off when decorating, and
made a pig's ear of reconnecting it.

No doubt you will have already received enough info to help you figure it
out. Good luck!

Rick