Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default DIY oxygen treatment? Just in case the NHS runs out.....

On 02/01/2021 12:52, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2021 01:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/01/2021 20:59, newshound wrote:
On 01/01/2021 11:14, GB wrote:
On 31/12/2020 18:53, nightjar wrote:

The amount of oxygen they take from the air is fairly small, but,
if you are in the same room as the compressor and don't have a
window cracked open, it can feel a bit stuffy after a few hours.

This doesn't make sense to me, I'm afraid. The amount of oxygen
being used up in the room is the amount being converted into CO2 by
the patient. The oxygen concentrator won't alter that significantly.

Are you *sure* about that?

Yes. The O2 doesn't disappear out of the room.

The only reason I said "The oxygen concentrator won't alter that
significantly" is that I was thinking the patient might need to make
less effort breathing with the concentrator, and so would use up less of
the O2.

I think that fed with a higher concentration of oxygen, the patient's
metabolism will run a bit faster, so potentially reducing the room
concentration consistent with Colin's experimental observation.

Apparently in the Dutch Army they teach conscripts "if the terrain and
the map do not match, it is not the terrain that is wrong".