IMM

Default victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?

"ANt" wrote in message
om...

With an old house, chips in paintwork, rough edges, pipes running down
the wall all seem to look nice ! In a new house, if the finish isn't
perfect, it's going to look pretty poor. I've not seen many new houses
where the finish has been acceptible, never mind perfect.

Personally I don't like walls that flex when you lean on them...scares
me.

I have not come across a new house where this is the case.

And I prefer to have an individual house...something I've not seen
on a new development (apart from at christmas when your nextdoor
neighbour covers his house with lights :-) )

It you want a truly "individual" house then selfbuild, it is the only way.
I see many new developments with "many" differing types of house styles.
The same type of boxes went in the 1970s estate. Not any more.

Friends have made a packet out of buying new builds off plan..but I
get the impression you need to sell quick and be prepared to move
frequently to do that...before the next phase of development on the
estate downgrades your house to "the older style of build".

The older houses on a development tend to go for more, as they streets are
tarmaced and gardens are more mature, and no mud.

Friends of mine live in a 20yr new house...I don't think the argument
that old houses suffer from years of bodged surface jobs flies judging
by the things they've found.

Anyone know what the design life of new builds is nowadays ? probably
depends on the developer I know, but I heard 50yrs is what they're
designing to now..

Victorian house were speculative and only had a design life of about 50
years too. Every torn away some of the facade of Victorian houses? Bodgers
were there then too.

I'd always go for an old house...but things to check

I've go a new, but I would check the reputation of the builder and check the
build as it goes up. Each snag you see give to the site manger and BCO, and
don't take crap off them as you are paying for it. Check that cavities have
no snots inside and that all the blockwork is fitted and cut properly with a
saw and tight fitting. Check that the joists resting on the blocks have
enough cement around them to seal it up, otherwise cold air fro the cavity
will enter the floor space. Check that any plastic pipes are clipped well;
they need to be. The rest is general stuff such as finishing.

---