Clay Harryman

Default My Air Conditioner -- I don't think I goofed up....

Short version -- I ran a new wire from the blower to the compressor.
My blower used to work but now it doesn't. Ideas?

Long version -- A couple of months ago, our air conditioner compressor
quit working. The blower would come on, but only hot air came out.
We called a professional (ARS) who showed me the problem. A
2-conductor wire that connects the blower to the compressor had a
break somewhere down the line on the ground side. He said he could
run it for about $300, or I could do it myself for less than $10. I
chose the second route. In the meantime, he grounded the return wire
to the compressor body and everything worked fine.

To be honest, I was content to leave it that way, but my wife insisted
I fix it the way I was shown.

Today, I finally had the time to try to fix it. First I turned
everything off at the thermostat. I got 50' of 3-conductor intercom
wire from Radio Shack. If one of the conductors breaks, I have a
redundancy to fall back on. It was just enough to reach from the
blower to the compressor. I attached the red conductor to the red
wire on the blower. I attached the green conductor to the white wire
on the blower. I then went to the compressor and plugged my red wire
into the wire nut that held the red wire from the original wire.
Finally I connected the green conductor into the wire nut that held
the white wire from the original. Got all that? I'm not sure I do.

Ok. I made sure all the connections were tight. Wire nuts outside.
Butt connectors inside. Electrical tape over all the connections.
(Yeah, I live in Texas. Tape does it all! . I went to the
thermostat and turned it on, now the blower won't even come on.

Any ideas on what might have happened?

Thank you,
Clay Harryman