Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best modern replacement for 5' T12 fluorescent battern fitting

On 31/12/2020 17:57, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Caecilius wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:59:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â* Caecilius wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:26:26 +0000, wrote:

On 30/12/2020 11:20, Caecilius wrote:
I've got a 5 foot T12 fluorescent tube in my utility room that needs
to be replaced.Â* It's a 65W tube (marked F65W / 54-765 / RS) that
gives 4200 lumens when new according to the specification.

I was considering a T8 battern with LED replacement tube, but it
seems
these have now been superceeded by integrated LED battern fittings.
Not a problem if the integrated LEDs & driver last for years, but
I'm
a bit wary as I've had a few LED candle bulbs fail within a year
with
occasional use despite being rated for 20,000 hours.

What's the group's recommended modern option for T12 fluorescent
tube
replacement? Any types or brands to look to or to steer clear of?

I've moved to rectangular LED panels in the kitchen, utility and
larder
- they look great (as in, they don't attract attention) and the
diffuse
light is excellent. They're fairly cheap so, before committing, I
bought
one and lashed it up to see whether SWMBO liked the result - a win!

Another vote for flat panels then - thanks, I'll definately be
considering those as an option.

It's a lot of work versus simply replacing a tube?

Yes, but it might look a lot better.Â* The utility room with a bare 5'
T12 battern fitting looks very, well, utilitarian.

I'm not sure how flat panels look on flat domestic ceilings though - a
lot of them seem to be designed for office suspended ceilings.

My view is a flat panel surface mounted would look equally utilitarian.
And inset to the ceiling, like an office etc.

So what would you suggest?

scented candles and aroma therapy

private property.

Karl Marx