Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default DIY oxygen treatment? Just in case the NHS runs out.....

On 31/12/2020 17:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

David wrote:
I can see that you can buy an oxygen concentrator for around

£250-£300.

Just curious - anyone know how those things work? I have seen one
running, they sound rather like a small fridge compressor in
operation, but how do they work?

I didn't but wiki does ...

compressor pumps air through vessel that contains zeolite, which adsorbs
most of the N2, leaving output of mainly O2.* Then it swaps a set of
valves to continue the same process through a second vessel, while
reversing the flow through the first vessel to expel the N2 to
atmosphere, rinse and repeat.

Presumably they need good airflow into the room, and maybe an exhaust
for the N2 rich output?

You beat me to it. I have 3 of the machines.

They create a modest level of noise from a well muffled compressor. The
units each provide up to 5l/min of enriched oxygen.