Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default bears and car door handles

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:24:15 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 12/29/2020 2:06 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 28 Dec 2020 17:04:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

micky wrote

I'm watching Doorbell cam videos and the first
thing the bears do is go for the car door handles.

How do they know about door handles?

They learn that works. So do some dogs

So they've each done this before. If I lived where there are bears, I
guess I'd lock my car door. And my house door.

and cats with house door handles, you can
see that on some of the youtube videos.

It won't stop the bears.

I talked to a ranger in Yellowstone, Who told me "don't leave ANY food
in the car". The bears will break ijn to get it. He said one time
someone with a red car left a cooler in the car, which the bear found
and enjoyed. Afterward, red cars were getting broken into regularly.

Hilarious. I'm glad to see that bears are on the ball.

A long time ago, I had organized a canoe trip on the Susquehanna, north
of Harrisburg. For two days. I had told everyone that we would camp
on an island in the river and they should bring a tent.

One guy didn't bring a tent and didn't tell me in advance, so I could
bring two. But I don't really like tents -- I like to sleep in open --
so I lent him mine and told him he can't bring any food into the tent.
And he asked why, and I told him, and he argued with me! I finally
reminded him it was MY tent and if he wanted to use it, he'd follow my
rules. That ended the discussion but I don't know if he did or not,

And I don't know what kind of animals visited that island. Probably not
bears, but I'm no animal expert. They can swim, so maybe they do. ??
And who knows what else there is there that likes food.

It was probably one of the islands in this view. One is supposed to do
these activities in advance, to prepare, but I sometimes didn't.
https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...1911!6e1?hl=en