Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name No Name is offline

Default 13A Sockets with USB sockets

On 29/12/2020 21:29, ARW wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:40, alan_m wrote:
On 29/12/2020 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

bought a set and couldn't get all the wires back into the patress box
so took it back....stupid having usb which will last a few years at
most in a switch socket that will last decades....

Yes, there is no switching of the input power to the USB circuit - the
circuit is being powered 24/365.Â* In the case of Brian's request, if
the usb circuit in these wall plates does produce RF interference then
it cannot just be easily unplugged.

I believe the MK ones use no power unless a USB plug is inserted.

I had installed some USB sockets in two bedrooms on both sides of the
two double beds.

All was well until a power cut. When the power was restored, only two of
the 4 double sockets worked on their USB ports

So they were replaced.

Then another time, when I had a need to de-energise the circuit for some
works, the two remaining double sockets never worked on their USB ports
again when the RCBO was turned back on.

It seems if the caps dry out, the USB power circuits remain operative
until the next power cycle..... then the USB ports no longer work