Andy Hall

Default Flat panel heaters

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:30:51 +0000, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

What are peoples' opinions on flat panel heaters? I saw a largish one
in Wickes but it was only 900W and didn't say how it worked (oil, wire
element, etc). I also saw a smaller DeLonghi one in Homebase that was
oil-based but that was just 600W.

Surely these can't heat a room as well as a conventional oil or
convector heater (which can be 2-3 times more powerful), so is it worth
getting one?

I'm happy to settle for a free-standing 7 or 9 fin oil heater (1.5KW)
but the flat panel heaters seemed more discreet.

You can calculate the heat loss for the room using one of the programs
on the central heating radiator manufacturer's web sites - e.g. Barlo
or Myson.

You basically measure the walls, floor and windows and plug in the
numbers and pick the type of construction. Generally you work on -3
degrees outside for central heating and 21 degrees inside for a living
room. You also plug in a number for air changes, which in a living
room is conventionally done at 1.5 per hour.

This will give you a heat loss in watts and you can work from there.
For electric heating, you can take the view that you would like a
discrete panel heater for most of the time, when it is warmer and you
don't need the heat output, but be prepared to supplement it with
something else when it's really cold.

As far as choice between these flat panel and oil heaters are
concerned, the rating is what determines the heat output into the
room. You might notice a different subjective effect if one type is
more radiant in nature and you sit near it, but I believe that the
flat panel types are predominantly convecting in nature.

Fan heaters are another option if you want to warm a room quickly.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl