Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Crackers?

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 12:37:43 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 26/12/2020 11:30, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 08:11:40 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

snip

So, whilst it's a bit late for today, can anyone recommend some nut
-crackers that will do all nuts nicely please?

I've used some Cricco ratchet nutcrackers for years, but they seem
difficult to get now. See
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cricco-Ratchet-Nutcracker-Crustacean-Tongs/dp/B078WVPCYP.

Can you use the tips for a more focused grip / pressure?

Yes, but of course the lever effect is less the further the nut is from
the pivot point.

Yeahbut the point load might be greater/ sufficient for those nuts
that open easily and fall in half (like walnuts / hazelnuts).

There are some better photos - even though very small - at this website:
http://web.tiscali.it/cricco/

Cheers,

snip

In theory, if something had sufficient mechanical advantage and was
well designed it would be less dangerous (less chance of pinching your
fingers or the things snapping and sticking into your had). ;-(

Sounds like you're almost into the realms of those trying to design a
better mousetrap! :-)

Well, only if we had a working mousetrap in the first place. ;-)

It seems I'm not alone in observing that what many might consider to
be 'standard nutcrackers' simply don't work on many nuts and yet they
are still sold for the purpose (often alongside the nuts themselves)?

I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person with a pretty strong grip to
leave a selection of nuts in the bowl un cracked because we feel that
pushing any harder is likely to break the crackers or hurt yourself if
the nut suddenly 'gave'?

And I'm pretty sure there would be a load more undefeated nuts left in
the bowl if my Mrs was eating them (with her arthritic hands).

Cheers, T i m