Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default drop cord size

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 15:33:16 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I am looking at some reels to hold some drop cords. At lowes they
specify a reel that has something new to me.

They list the reel holding 150 feet of 5.33 or 125 feet of 4.67 SJT
wire.

I know what SJT is , but do not know what the 5.33 and 4.67 refer to.

What would that relate to in the outside of the cord or the wire size ?

If diameter in milimeters or some other demension looks like the numbers
are backward.

It also lists 150 feet of 5 . Just what does that 5 stand for ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Unbranded-K...and/5000730131

I need to hold 100 feet of # 12/3 drop cord.

Been thinking of just getting one of the water hose reels as I know that
will hold the wire. I have one with 100 feet of water hose on that is
much larger in diameter than the drop cord.

I can't answer your question but a few months ago I dropped two of those
things off at the local Habitat ReStore. For me, they sucked. There needs
to be a way to use the cord without completely unrolling and removing all
of it. Actually, it wouldn't have been that hard to modify them, but I was
short tempered that day and just wanted to get rid of them.