Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Car Charging

David wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 14:38:31 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Realisticallty - if it was a new norm - what additional cost would it be
for new builds to have a 3 phase supply brought to the meter enclosure
for possible use for a car charger?

Most comments seem to consider charging a single car.

A lot of families are two car these days, especially in suburbia and
outwards.
We were 2 car when we were both working.
Teenage kids at home can easily lead to 3 or 4 car families.

At what point does it become infeasible to charge multiple cars overnight
using a single 80 or 100 Amp 2 phase supply?

Noting in passing that a decade or so back planning for new builds
restricted parking to 1.5 cars IIIRC so most new build parking is likely
to be in communal bays not on your own property.

Cheers

Dave R

But that's not how current generation families are working it.

They're keeping 1 gasoline beater and 1 BEV.

The gasoline car is "for vacations", and has the range.

But, as it turns out, one family member is driving the gasoline
vehicle during the day to get groceries.

This is what real people are doing.

2 BEVs would be silly, and only a side-effect of legislation.

At some point, public infrastructure may allow a more
complete transition. For example, if the price premium of
charging in the city was 1X the home electricity cost,
now two BEVs are practical.

In my own city, I could easily see how the "Park and Ride" facility
that the public transit operates, you could build-in a low charge
rate facility into every parking spot. As an example of simplifying
things. If you spend an 8 hour work day in the city core,
that would be an excellent location for chargers (8 hours times 7kW).
The Park and Ride nearest me has room for several hundred cars (and
land to pave more spots). There are more of these around the city
outskirts.

The optional pack on the Model 3 is 75kWh, and 56kWh would easily
cover what you burned on the way in from the suburbs.

One city here is experimenting with BEV buses, But this is likely
to see how best to deploy them. They are not even remotely close
to being an exact replacement for the diesels. They're being
pampered while they play with them. You're not likely to jump out
of one BEV, and into a second (transit) BEV.

When I was a kid, there were wires above every street. And
the buses had two poles that rode on the wires. We went all
over town with that kit. The place was well equipped with wires.
The drivers only had to get out occasionally and put the
pickups back on the wires. If the driver whipped through an
intersection too fast, sometimes a pole would come off.
And they had great acceleration too - on my favorite hill,
the driver used to floor it, to give a demo of just how much
traction power the thing had. That was a great system. And,
with no batteries, you could drive those pigs 22 hours a day,
no problem at all. And because they don't have batteries, they're
also dirt cheap.

Paul