Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Urgent plumbing issue!

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I was taught to put tape over the olive. It seesm to work - even 40 years
later.

I was taught it was something only done by amateurs. It's doesn't help
seal but may lubricate the threads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_fitting

Why would putting tape on the olive lubricate the threads?

Quite, and not sure why you think that. I advocate lubricant on the
threads. Perhaps a smear on the olive to allow the nut to turn.

If you are going to use lubricant on the threads Jet-Lube V-2 Plus is a
potable lubricant.

Why would you want lubricant on the threads? I've never managed to strip
them.

Something I have never achieved. They usually squeak and bind well
before then.