Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Car battery 12.1v

williamwright wrote:
On 21/12/2020 09:28, gareth evans wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â* gareth evans wrote:
I remember in the late 1960s, I owned one, only, germanium transistor
which I did not dare solder for fear of causing further migration
of semiconductors into a resistor!

I still have a soldering heatsink I made - a small crock clip with thick
copper wire soldered into the jaws

And at some time, Practical Wireless gave an aluminium tweezer-like
heatsink to clip onto leads whist soldering. I still have mine
somewhere

I have always simply squashed the jaws of a small croc clips so they
resemble serrated scissors and used them. You can three or four in a row
as the squashed jaws are only about a mm wide.

I used to use the simple method of holding the wire in a pair of small
flat faced pliers while soldering, I don't think I ever destroyed a
transistor or diode by overheating it. Much more common (destruction)
in my case was the wire dropping off from fatigue after multiple
re-uses!

--
Chris Green
·