Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Titebond III must be a very different animal.

On 12/21/2020 8:26 AM, dpb wrote:
On 12/20/2020 5:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/19/2020 2:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I bought some Titebond III recently. I didn't need it to be
waterproof but I liked the idea of longer open time for a little less
stressful gluing. I had used TII and TI in the past.
I used it to glue up that butcher-block-style table top. I'm
"recycling" the wood which is currently finished with poly, I think.
I'm going to sand off the old finish anyway so I didn't bother trying
to meticulously remove the squeeze-out, especially on the bottom.
I got a pretty generous gob of glue on the (chrome) bar of a
Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamp. (I had left the clamps on for just
about 24 hours - yes, I know I didn't need to) In my previous
experience with wood glue, stuff like that would flick right off. Not
so this time. It was stuck but good; had to use a knife to pry it off
bit by bit.

Ah TiteBond.Â* LOLÂ* I only use TB III and itÂ* failed the water proof
test more than a decade ago when tested by a magazine.Â* In fact the
TBI proved to be more water proof than the TBIII.Â* I had fun with that
one when mentioning it to Franklin.

Both TB II and TB III pass a given ANSI Standard for water resistance.
That's all it means ... as I recall the "test" the magazine did had no
relationship to those tests.Â* Of course, those tests are very artificial
if you go look up what they consist of, but they are the recognized test
standards.

Yes, the "Glue Club" standard. But even in the early days the Water
Proof Standard specification, was only defined as Water Resistant. Its
like they pull you in with the Water Proof feature but in the fine print
say ,not really.

And YES the magazine test was not close to the testing standards. The
magazine test was testing the glue like the average consumer would
expect a glue labeled Water Proof to perform.

Franklin never officially claimed anything otherwise; I notice they have
somewhat modified the advertising jargon...

Well, water proof on the bottle pretty much means water proof, which it
was not according to the Water Proof testing standard Spec.

And even today the bottles says Water Proof.

I guess like Clinton, it depends on what the definition of is, is. Or
in this case, Water Proof. LOL

I use both but with so much work I do outside, the lower chalk
temperature for TIII is extremely helpful.

Yes, and still I pretty much only TB III also. I prefer the color that
it dries at. Tan vs. yellow. And the open time is easier to work with.

I've not had a glue failure in any exterior application with TIII on
anything I thought was at all a reasonable application for the
product--it does everything it should do.

--

I will not argue that. I have not had it fail either. Although some
maple flat grain cutting boards that I made a few years back have split