Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth Evans Gareth Evans is offline

Default DIY Astronomy for Jupiter and Saturn?

On 20/12/2020 21:08, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 20:26:37 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 20/12/2020 17:19, gareth evans wrote:
[quoted text muted]

If you have a (andriod) smart phone install the "sky map" app. Once you
calibrate the compass on the smart phone and point your phone at the sky
(screen facing you) it will show the stars you are looking at with named
planets etc. in the current positions in the sky.

For some reason I have never been able to calibrate any compass on any
smartphone to the things satisfaction. I follow the instructions, do the
dance and it refuses to go tick.

Mine is a 1+ 7T and after a few seconds' of that dance works OK.