tony sayer

Default Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area.

In article ,
writes
"Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" wrote:
In article , Niall
wrote:

So if it happens, change the cable. But freeview *can* work perfectly
well without an enormous aerial array and CT100 all over the place.
If you have a reasonable analogue picture, it will probably work fine.

Believe whatever makes you happy. I can only give you the benefit of 16
years in the trade and thousands of digital installations carried out.

I believe what I see on my television screen and what a number of
other people here have said. If you have good analogue Channel 5
reception then there's a very good chance that you will get digital
FreeView with the same aerial installation. If not then an aerial
upgrade is probably all that's necessary (assuming you haven't got a
super-duper aerial already). Only if you're trying to squeeze the
last few extra dB of signal out of the system is it worth upgrading
the aerial cables and so on.

Not necessarily so that. You can have good analogue reception if say
your local TX is in A group 21-34 but a digital MUX planted up near the
top end of the band say channel 67 like hereabouts off sandy heath then
this is stretching things a tad too much!.

An A group aerial is way, way, down on level at that separation and co-
ax cables fall in efficiency as the frequency increases, and if they are
of the very open loose weave braided types.

Anyway, why is it that people can spend a small fortune on TV's DVD
players Home cinema and the like and yet be so penny pinching when it
comes to a few tens of pounds for an aerial that will give an adequate
signal that will cope with fades and give excellent service over many
years, and thousands of hours of good quality service?.

Having worked in the TV industry at both ends for some years it still
amazes me as to what crappy and poor reception people will put up with
all for the want of a few quid's worth of metal!....
--
Tony Sayer