Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Apparent leak on CH system

On 19/12/2020 08:08, Peter James wrote:

Every three or four weeks I need to de-air the towel radiator in the bathroom.
This is the highest
Radiator in the system.
A friend, who is a retired plumber, suggested that I have a small leak
somewhere in the system.

That's a possibility.

Another is that its not air, but hydrogen accumulating from corrosion
processes. Do you know if there is adequate corrosion inhibitor in there?

(you could test by trying to ignite the gas as its bled from the rad).

In his day he would have solved it with the addition
to the system of a "leak fixing additive". But he does admit he is totally
out of date and things might have moved on from this.

Such products still exist. Probably best only used as a last resort though.

Can anyone suggest the best way of solving this. I have searched the visible
pipe work, but to no affect.

Very small leaks can evaporate away before you see liquid water. In hard
water areas you may see a small verdigris or scale stain though.

You could add a small quantity of Fluorescein dye to the primary water,
and then go round with a UV torch to see if you can fine a leak location
then.

--
Cheers,

John.