Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Low gas pressure at boiler

So, fitted the new gas valve to the boiler and the house is warming up nicely
now.

I set the output pressure on gas valave (abiout 12 mbar), and while I was at it
checked the supply pressure on the valve as well.

It was about 14-15 mbar. So somewhat low..

I checked the pressure at the meter, it was fine, 21 mb.

Now this doesn't entirely surprise me. We have lived here since 2004, there is
the boiler and the gas hob on the same pipe (they are on oppsite sides of a
wall), if the hob was on full, you would notice a change in the burner sound
when the boiler fired up. So I suspect it maybe has been like it for a long
time (we've never had aplumber in, it's never been checked). Everythign wroked
ok, and doing anythign about the supply would be a PITA until we rdid the
kitchen and utility room area. so I let well alone .

A ssume this is down to the pipe run, most of it runs under the floor, the
total run is probbaly about 25m, the first 4m or so is 1inch OD steel pipe,
somewhere between there and the boiler/hob it tunrns into 15mm copper, there
are probably 4-5 bends on the way.

The boilers rated gas consumption (it's a basic open flued, on/off boiler) is
4m^3/hr.

so given that it has worked in this fashion for presumably some years I am
minded to carry on, we hopefully will get round to a full kitchen refit in the
next few years.

what are the implications of that sort of low pressure?

--
Chris French