Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Gas boiler not lighting - Gas valve?

John Rumm wrote:
On 18/12/2020 00:35, Chris ?French wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 17/12/2020 13:39, Chris French wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

I don't know much about the gas valves, does the
solenoid control the flow of gas to the pilot as well?

On this boiler there appears to be two live connections to the gas valve
- one presumably for the pilot and another for the main valve. The PCB
may sequence these, and possibly turn off the pilot once the ignition
electrode detects the main burner firing.

Yep, that@s exactly what seems to happen

Thanks John

In which case, I would have to concur, shagged gas valve...

(have seen this on other mexico boilers - although normally the manual
pilot type. One that failed to fire at all, and one that failed shortly
after main burner ignition as the valve warmed up).

Ok, new gas valve on it's way.

A couple of small queries.

The boiler manual says of the pressure testing points on the gas valve, to
loosen the scews in them to test the pressure. Except there are no screws in
them, just a threaded hole.

I presume I need to use a pressure test nipple in them? Are these likely to
be
the common 1/8 BSP size? I can't find any info on it .

I have never tried it on one of those, but I would expect so.

I was talking rubbish, there is a screw lurking at the bottom of the hole.

Is the feed pipe likley to be hard to remove? It's threaded in and the other
end is the female part of the union, so no nut or anything to use a spanner
on?

IME yup it takes a fair amount of oompf to get it free (taper steel pipe
thread into ali casting ISTR). On the bright side there is usually a
bend in the pipe, which gives you some leverage. However gas valve
clamped up in a vice and a big stilson wrench on the pipe will do it
(YMMV). Refitting is much easier I expect!

Actually, in the end it came out easily enough, witht he stilsons.

Then I noticed that the indie of the union on the other end had an allen key
fitting, for one of those big allen keys.

Back together, and now working :-)

Household harmony resumes.

Thanks for your help John

--