Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Air brick inside clothes wardrobe needs filling in - what do Iuse?

On 18/12/2020 01:31, Fredxx wrote:
On 17/12/2020 22:12:48, Monique Castellani-Kraan wrote:
Hi all, could use some input on this because I'm a bit of a novice
and need to make sure I'm using the right tools for the job!

Our house was built in the 1940s and we've lived there for almost 30
years, and little did we know there was a badly filled-in air brick
inside my build-in clothes wardrobe. In recent years I wondered why I
had such a bad clothes moth problem and why my clothes smelled
fusty.

Clearly one or more of those walls is an outside wall. It is therefore
going to be colder than the room so condensation will form on these walls.

Given the passage of time, apart from the refilling of the airbrick, you
need ventilation between the room and wardrobe. I would suggest a series
of holes in the bottom and top of the wardrobe between that and the
bedroom.

And install cavity wall insulation if practicable.
And visit a pet centre and get one of those big spray cans
intended for dealing with cat fleas inside the house. You can
spray around the walls and floor inside the wardrobe and even
give clothing you don't wear all summer/winter a quick spray
too. This should deal with clothes moths.