Posted to uk.d-i-y
Monique Castellani-Kraan Monique Castellani-Kraan is offline

Default Air brick inside clothes wardrobe needs filling in - what do I use?

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 11:46:56 AM UTC, alan_m wrote:
On 18/12/2020 10:36, Monique Castellani-Kraan wrote:

I posted around on other forums last night too, I've been given so much conflicting advice by this point I'm just confused.

Possibly because its hard to diagnose the problem from a distance and
there could be more than one possible cause for the damp. Some people
may assume one cause and one solution whilst other may assume a
different cause and suggest a different solution.
xD Some people saying block it up some people saying open it up. So
I'm looking into removing all that plaster and getting an adjustable
vent cover for it instead, we'll see how it goes from there. If problems
with it persist I'll block it up Just a bit concerned that it's going
to ruin my clothes and books inside that wardrobe if I open it up which
is why my first concern was sealing it up properly.
If the problem hasn't been evident for the previous X years what may
have changed? Could it be that what has been stored in the area has
been packed in so tightly against the wall and ceiling that it is
trapping the water in the wall/ceiling. Perhaps in the past a gap
between the wall and stored material allowed any minor dampness to
evaporate to atmosphere?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate your help!

If you do open it up and put an adjustable vent on the inside place a
thin sheet of open cell foam behind the vent. Often open cell foam
(usually black in colour) can be found in the packing of household
electrical items but also available on Ebay etc. This will help stop a
gale blowing trough the airbrick when the wind is in the wrong direction.

Just removed the plaster to reveal (dun dun dun)... an extremely rusty, ancient metal vent cover. Unsure how to proceed here. Any advice? Photo: https://imgur.com/a/duJgrK5