Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Air brick inside clothes wardrobe needs filling in - what do Iuse?

On 17/12/2020 22:12, Monique Castellani-Kraan wrote:

The air brick is 6 ft above the floorboards, directly inside my enclosed wardrobe. It is in a contained space consisting of only my clothes wardrobe and bookcase inside my bedroom. Photos here. https://imgur.com/a/KCKaehO

Is the photo after the bleach treatment?

Don't overlook that the filled in airbrick may not be the problem. You
may have a leaking roof or gutter above your wardrobe causing the
problems on the ceiling and/or walls. Water then could be running down
inside a wall cavity until it reaches the porous air brick fill and then
is coming back to the inside of the wall. The fill material may be
acting as a sponge with no brick or block behind the surface coat to
stop water penetrating.

Check for any cracked tiles or slates above the area or any water
staining on the exterior wall in the location. Check that your gutters
are not blocked with leaves or moss in that location which could cause
water to overflow the gutter.

If its a filled in air brick where is the water coming from
i) condensation?
ii) a hole in the outside of the wall that hasn't been blocked off?
iii) from the roof
iv) from the gutter

Perhaps the original purpose of the air brick was to prevent
condensation occurring?