Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Lost in the baffling Makita range

On 15/12/2020 21:21, wrote:
On 14/12/2020 18:16, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/12/2020 17:02,
wrote:
On 13/12/2020 22:46, John Rumm wrote:

The Makita UK site does have a compare function. So say you go to:

https://www.makitauk.com/products/18v-drill-drivers

You can click on compare for a number of tools. It does suffer a bit
by not having the same set of specs listed for all tools though - or
the naming not being consistent - say listing "Capacity in Steel" on
one drill and no value listed for others, but the others having
"Max. in Steel"

I'd found that but was hoping for some simple comparison table to
make it easy for potential customers to be Mak products. I'll have to
keep wading through the number swamp.

Its not as bad as it first seems - if you specify say DD and brushless
in your search you are rapidly down to only a handful. You can assess
visually which have big side handles are the high torque ones. So you
will likely be only comparing two or three tools at that point.

Well, I've just spent a couple of hours looking around the web and it
seems that the DHP481 or DDF481 are the models to choose, with the
weights, sizes and prices being quite similar - so I'm prepared to go

115Nm of torque ought to be enough :-)

for the combi. Because of the staggering and confusing number of options
it's very difficult to find the best deal, especially when the likes of
FFX have the bare DHP481 for £150 and with a 5Ah battery for £267, yet
the 5Ah battery by itself is available for £75. It's bad enough to make
me want to give up and buy a brand that knows how to market sensibly and
transparently.

I could not see those exact deals at FFX - body only was £150, but £295
for + 2x4Ah, or £300 for 2x5Ah

The £300 deal seems ok since its equal to the cost of the two 5Ah batts,
but you get a case and charger as well.

(although Lawson are doing the same kit at £290)

It seems that the ID of choice is either the DTD171 or the DTD154, so it
would be great to find someone who will sell one of these as a package
with the 481 ... but I'm not sure I've got the will to keep looking :-(

Closest I saw was:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...-brushless-kit

But not that impressed with the price!

Might also be worth considering if you particularly want/need brushless
- since with a drill and ID you will get quite significant run time on a
5Ah battery anyway. BL give some extra toys like constant speed with
varying load, and on very high drain tools like angle grinders, BL is
well worth it.

When I replaced my NiMh kit I went for a kit like:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...aces-dlx2005mj

as a starting point, and bought another twin pack of bats and the other
tools I need body only.

So far they have tackled anything and everything I have thrown at them.

--
Cheers,

John.