Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mini trunking capacity

On 15/12/2020 15:21, Chris Green wrote:
Can anyone point me at a simple set of "what cables fit in what
trunking" table anywhere? I'd have thought it was a pretty
fundamental piece of information but I can't find anything very useful
anywhere. Even TLC don't seem to have anything.

I'm specifically interested in the very small sizes like the Screwfix
12mm x 8mm trunking, can you fit a 1.5mm T&E in that?

If its any help, the table he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Cables#Cable_Sizes

Include the approx outer sheath dimensions for the various cable sizes.
Note that there may be variation between brands.

Neither Screwfix nor Toolstation seem to have the (approx) 25 x 10
trunking that I have a bit of, TLC have 16 x 10, would that be better
for 1.5 T&E?

Alternatilve I do have some 1sqmm (I think, it might be 1.5sqmm)
single that I could use as the things I'm connecting (outside light,
all plastic, PIR, timer switch) don't require an earth/CPC. That
might fit in smaller trunking than 1.5T&E.

De-rating isn't an issue, it's only going to be at most two LED lamps
at the end of this, 25 watts total maximum. I'll put a 3A fuse in the
FCU.

Also there are a number of values of "fit". What you can get into a bit
of trunking with a nice straight run of neatly stacked cables is not the
same as what you can fit with the occasional twist, or need to change
direction or go round a corner.

Generally bigger than you think you need is better. It does not get
significantly more fugly in larger sizes, and its much easier to use
neatly with plenty of capacity to spare.

--
Cheers,

John.