Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Just is offline

Default Woodstove "plastic" smell?

I have done some more research re toxic fumes from paint on log burners (and anywhere else for that matter). Air purifiers with activated charcoal filters will take out the toxins from the air. The Blueair with smoke filters will take out dozens and dozens of hideous chemicals from the air, including gases from plastics and much more. Most people are not aware how poisonous our atmosphere is from "cleaning" materials, dyes, carpets, fire proofing... which all can also cause allergies and asthma. But these really good air purifiers will clean most of it out.
Of course it is best to check out the safety of the chimney and fireplace first, but believe me- paint fumes are distinguishable from smoke. I am surprised some health and safety executives haven't gotten on to this yet.
After only a few minutes of burning the fire I have been airing our living room for 3 days now while it is windy outside, and still the smell lingers and my skin starts to sting...it seems to stick to everything.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ll-258778-.htm