Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default In-line fuse holders - do they meet the regs?

Has anyone ever opened up a wall wart recently? Time was when there used to
be a fuse or at the very least a temp sensor in the transformer to stop it
all bursting into flames. Most of the little switch mode ones have nothing
at all. I think if anything goes short the main trip on the ring is the
only way to cut the power. They have been known to melt or catch fire.
Surely a little in line wire ended fuse cannot be that expensive to fit
rather than a bit of flexible wire as they use now.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
One for our resident certified electrical installers ...
I want to add a spur to feed a wall-mounted smart heating controller,
which has a PSU as part of its wall-mount kit. I don't want to have a
fused spur plate on the wall so am planning on putting an in-line
fuseholder in the back-box for the wall-mount kit. I don't have any
concerns about whether this is safe, but I can't decide whether it meets
the regs or needs any specific labelling.
Can anyone here provide the answer?

FYI it's an Evohome system with an ATF600 wall-mount kit.

I'd say anything connected to a ring needs an FCU. Run it from the
lighting circuit?

You may be correct (I don't know) but the purpose of the fuse is to
protect the (fixed) wiring between the device and the ring so what's the
difference between an in-line fuse inside a back box and a fuse in a
faceplate? I can accept that it would be useful to have a label saying
"fuse inside", but I can't find anything in the regs; hence the question.

The lighting circuits are too far away.