Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Charcoal BBQ indoors - restaurants do, extractor hood?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 03:43:50 -0500, Paul wrote:

David wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 20:02:17 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
You could always try it with a CO alarm nearby.

We have a large kitchen/diner/living area which has the extractor fan
mentioned above.
It also has a wood burning stove with a source of external draught.
It also has a CO detector which hasn't grumbled so far.
Mind you, I wouldn't want it to grumble!

Risk is much lower than a small unventilated cooking area, just
wondering how much risk there is.

Cheers

Dave R

What's the profit in this again ? The misadventure part...

People here barbecue in the winter, but they use a gas-powered barbecue
on the patio (outdoors). You want a cooking device that starts reliably,
when cooking in winter.
On lazy summer days, there is more time for starting arcane cooking
solutions.

Charcoal does not always start up promptly. It requires "fidgeting". The
favorite it, the Dad brings out the liquid barbecue starter, and applies
10X the recommended amount (from past experience, we know that 2X and 5X
aren't enough). Flames might shoot up ten feet in the air,
after the Dad is done. These are not the kinds of misadventures to be
carried out under an extractor fan.
Yes, you can use an electric heating element starter,
to start charcoal. But even then, it might take 30 minutes to 60 minutes
before the charcoal is at "cooking temp".
There is a lot of fiddling, moving/rotating coals, and so on.

You will be tempted to do all sorts of "stupid Dad" stuff with a
charcoal cooker. Multiple attempts to get charcoal lighted.
Doing it in the house ? Get outta here.

With charcoal, it's 60 minutes to get the blasted thing at cook
temperature, 10 minutes to cook. What is wrong with this picture ? With
gas, it's 1 minute to prep, 10 minutes to cook. Select the right food
(steak, in winter), and there is minimal interaction with the food on
the patio.
Only if you're a "steak torturer" do you have to stay out there and play
with it. It helps to learn how to cook stuff in warmer weather, where
you can watch cause and effect and learn your craft. Then in winter cook
situations on the patio, you can be deadly efficient (minimal number of
nips out to patio).

With charcoal, the grease from the food falls down onto the briquettes
and the grease burns and soon you have a lot of flame shooting up. Some
use a spritz of water on the coals, to tamp down the grease fire. It's
not really something you can afford to walk away from, in terms of
tending it. Maybe you try to control it, by moving the grill plate up or
down a notch. It's still a lot more trouble than its worth. In the house
? ****, No!

There's nothing flammable on my patio. If I were to set up the Hibachi
(classic charcoal cooker), if there were an "incident", maybe the worst
that would happen is grease stains on the concrete. If it tips over,
I don't have to "save it". No heroics required.
If my Sambuca catches fire, I can throw it on the lawn.

Paul

Assume that I have some minor experience with BBQs which does not match
your "straw man" argument.

Cheers

Dave R