Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Charcoal BBQ indoors - restaurants do, extractor hood?

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 18:29:10 +0000, NY wrote:

On 12/12/2020 17:22, David wrote:
Having bought my tiny one burger BBQ I am wondering about the
practicality of using it indoors.

I wouldn't use it unventilated, but it has occurred to me that I could
put it on a metal tray on top of the hob directly under the extractor
fan.

I know that some restaurants have indoor charcoal grills.
I assume that they have very efficient extractor fans to remove any
combustion products such as CO to the outside atmosphere.

Just speculating if a cooker hood would have enough "suck" to clear
the BBQ fumes.
It certainly seems to clear smoke and steam.

It will be no worse than a gas ring

Want to bet?

I may be wrong but I'd have thought there was a lot more risk of fumes
with a barbecue because the fuel probably burns less efficiently than
gas (the ratio of fuel to air is not precisely controlled) and there
will be fumes from fat dropping onto the fuel.

My experience with cooker hoods (eg if something has burned and created
smoke) is that they are not up to the job, by several order of
magnitude. The previous people installed a huge motor-driven fan in the
loft, connected to the cooker hood, so a *lot*bigger than the one in a
dedicated hood, but it's not up to clearing the kitchen of smoke from
burned toast or meat under the grill.

My experience with cooker hoods isn't as bad as that.
Our 3 speed hood can effectively clear the smoke from over enthusiastic
cooking of, for example, steaks which ends up with blue smoke from the fat.

I would expect to light it outside, bring it into the kitchen (first bit
of risk) then under the cooker hood going full chat.
After cooking I would expect to take it back outside to let the embers
burn out.

I expect it to be more poisonous than a gas ring mainly because a decent
gas ring burns clean (most of the time) so only produces CO2 and water.

If the charcoal had fully ignited and was just glowing red and not giving
off smoke then it might be safer.

The size of the space could also make a difference.
One of the issues of bringing a BBQ into a tent is the small volume of air.
As I understand it a lot of the fatal outcomes are where the BBQ has been
brought in to warm the tent.
Also when a BBQ has been left in or near the tent after cooking has
finished (but when it is still giving off fumes).

I am just speculating at the moment.
My plan was always to cook outside.
Just looking at the extractor hood made me wonder.

Cheers

Dave R