Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Charcoal BBQ indoors - restaurants do, extractor hood?

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
I'd say never, ever, burn a barbecue indoors.

If a competent commercial organisation designs, tests, makes, tests, fits,
tests, every day tests, then, just maybe.

Otherwise, never. Too many stores of things like a charcoal burning
device, even when apparently no longer burning, actually producing copious
amounts of carbon monoxide.

I was thinking more from the fire risk point of view, but as you say, CO
production would also be a problem.

I wonder how many people suffered CO poisoning many centuries ago before
houses had chimneys and the smoke from an inside fire just percolated
through a thatched roof. I was reading a historical novel set in the 1100s
and there was reference to someone having a luxury that was almost unknown -
a chimney for his fire; I'm not sure whether it was entirely true that
chimneys were rare as late as the 1100s. This was in a city of mainly
professionals and shopkeepers, as opposed to little peasants' cottages.