Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com is offline

Default Callins capacitor?

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 21:19:50 +0200, Tauno Voipio
wrote:

On 12.12.20 6.49, Don wrote:
The earlier Callins link was only for reference to give people an idea
of the price and physical characteristics.

My questions actually pertain to a 100 ?F 6 V Callins, which looks
identical. It's used in a PAIA VCO module from the 1970s. The
schematic's shown he

https://crcomp.net/paia/2720-2A.png

C7 is the Callins. C6 is a plain vanilla electrolytic in a can. They
both have a value of 100 ?F.

Although the simpleminded answer goes through everyone's mind first, it
doesn't add up. Why pay more for a Callins back in the day? Why not buy
twice as many electrolytics in cans to get a better price break?
Or, if Callins was the cheap alternative back then, why pay more
for electrolytics in cans?

Perhaps the answer's as simple as the late John Simonton inheriting a
pile of Callins. It's too late to ask John, but there's a PAIA forum,
which may supply some answers, provided they process my registration.
For the time being, the Callins will be substituted with a new
electrolytic in a can.

Danke,

There must be some audio magic inside the Callins, but I see
it difficult to get any advantage in a power supply filter.
If you're not happy with a garden-variety aluminum, get a
tantalum one, and please, with a little more than 6V rating,
as the power line is nominally 6V.

Derate tants about 3:1 on a supply rail. That seems to be reliable.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc