Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Jeroen Belleman Jeroen Belleman is offline

Default Callins capacitor?

On 2020-12-12 19:46, legg wrote:
On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 09:23:52 -0800,
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 19:31:10 -0500, legg wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 08:55:19 -0800,

wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:13:22 -0000 (UTC), "Don" wrote:

Greetings,

Why do Callins capacitors command such a high premium:

https://richelectronics.co.uk/produc...ow-esr-ol0382b

What's so special about them?

What's a good substitute?

Danke,

Is that a non-polar electrolytic? Looks like two regular caps potted.

What use is a 300 uF non-polar 'lytic?

Crossover network?

I also saw something of a similar value in a Hafler preamp parts list,
(and another smaller value) though I couldn't locate it on the
schematis..

RL

The old bakelite Black Beauty film (or maybe paper?) caps are highly
prized/priced because some people can hear the difference.

If I paid $25 for a 0.022 uF cap, I bet I could hear the difference.

I wonder how many of these sorts of things are Chinese fakes.

I recall there being an oversupply of non-polarized electrolytics
at one time, mainly because of their perceived mark-up value.

The value was due to their predominant sale to low-volume hobbyists.

The Callins part is polarized and of no special importance to the
circuit in which it was employed.

The Hafler circuit was the DH110, which used descrete transisators of
both polarities in complimentary pairs. I still don't see the C109 [...]

Every time I see that, a vision of them congratulating each other
comes to mind.

It's complementary.
-

Jeroen Belleman