Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default DIY Hindsight

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 17:38:20 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:
A basement
launderette would also be useful so you would not need a (most time
unused) machine in the kitchen taking up space.

That would be lovely but I assume you don't live in the UK?

I know a set of retirement flats that have a communal washing machine room,
but most of the flats still have their own machine.

Having lived in accommodation with shared machines before, I think one
reason is that lugging baskets of washing up and down stairs isn't exactly
fun, even if you aren't elderly. Another is that sharing is a pain - people
leave washing in the machines when they're done, so the next person has to
unload and leave it in a pile - if they don't steal it. Lots of
opportunities for friction between users. Laundrettes can afford staff to
manage things, where a per-building room probably wouldn't.

About the only useful purpose I can see is when you need a commercial-size
machine for washing bedding or similar that won't fit in a domestic machine.
That and avoiding the noise, which can be troublesome in a 40m2 flat.

There is reserved parking though and a fair number of visitor spaces
so that's quite a treat (and by no means 'standard').

Elsewhere, I think some people fit a storage container in their allocated
underground parking space - like having a private basement store if you
don't have a car.

Theo