Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Dimmable LED electronics

On 12/10/2020 9:43 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 02:42:44 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:53:24 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Dec 2020 19:00:01 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

Jim Joyce writes:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:39:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have an LED shop light that just died, in less than a year.
Either the driver died or a connection broke. I've seen numerous
"cold solder joint" problems on high bay arrays.

If not a bad solder joint, probably a component other than the LED went
bad. Most likely a capacitor.

I have had several of the screw in bulbs (the 60 watt replacement type)
go bad. Opened one up and put some power on the LEDs and they lit up.
Did not do more testing.

My house is about a year and a half old and the builder put in all LED
bulbs. So far I've had 8 or 9 of them fail. I have one of the failed bulbs
here on my desk. It's an Ecosmart model B7A19A60WU11 9W 800 Lumens 173ma
2700K Made in China.

I get the Feit LED bulbs from Costco. I have dozens installed with no failures
so far.

Thanks, Scott. That's yet another brand I haven't heard of, but new
technology tends to bring new players. I appreciate it.

I'm only using 2 LED bulbs, shaped like regular light bulbs.

They are very bright.

One is in a lamp I keep knocking over, and it doesn't break. Doesn't
seem like it might. They seem more rugged than the traditional glass
lightbulb.

The other is on the ceiling above my head. I'll get the brand if
anyone cares.

I've got Feit, Philips, Noma, Sunbeam, Ikea and TCP with virtually no
failures. Not impressed with the Ikeas - and they were not dimmable -

Had some Luminus - bad luck with them.

Over 60 TCPs at the church - one dead out of the box - no failures in
use.

I have a dead phillips LED spot bulb that died in a few months too.