Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Hindsight

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 09/12/2020 20:09, T i m wrote:

(probably for cost reasons) ... if they had to have the roofs
reinforced to do so? That said the timbers are pretty large, compared
with the newer houses I've looked in anyway.

I went from slate to concrete tile and had this conversation with the
roofer. There is little difference in roof weight - slates can be a lot
heavier than you think and he demonstrated by making a makeshift balance
from a plank on a brick as the fulcrum . first balancing it with tiles
on both sides and then replacing the equivalent area of tiles with slates.

In my area BC always seem to want additional support for the purlins
irrespective of the replacement roof material.

I changed from what were ceramic double pan tiles to artificial slate.
They are lighter - much lighter.

Load of houses round here which have had concrete tiles fitted - and
sagging in the middle. So my guess is they are a lot heavier than the
original - most likely slate.

--
*IS THERE ANOTHER WORD FOR SYNONYM?

Dave Plowman London SW