Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default DIY Hindsight

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 23:12:51 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 09/12/2020 20:09, T i m wrote:

(probably for cost reasons) ... if they had to have the roofs
reinforced to do so? That said the timbers are pretty large, compared
with the newer houses I've looked in anyway.

I went from slate to concrete tile and had this conversation with the
roofer. There is little difference in roof weight - slates can be a lot
heavier than you think and he demonstrated by making a makeshift balance
from a plank on a brick as the fulcrum . first balancing it with tiles
on both sides and then replacing the equivalent area of tiles with slates.

Interesting, ta. ;-)

In my area BC always seem to want additional support for the purlins
irrespective of the replacement roof material.

This can often be down to a 'pet thing' of a particular BC person, a
bit like MOT inspectors.

I had my campervan fail on lower ball joints, brought it home and
changed them and took it back for a re-test. Different guy who
questioned what I'd done and why and said that 'there was little point
as they would be loose again in no time, that's how they are on those

Cheers, T i m