Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default XT30 connectors

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 10:31:00 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I have been using the Anderson Power Poles and this thread is the first
I have seen of the XT type connectors.

Anderson Power Poles are standard for ham radio applications.
XT30/60/90/120 connectors are commonly used for RC (radio control) and
anything powered by a LiIon battery bank.

From looking at them on Youtube it looks to me that the wire end is just
open and if you want that to be insulated you have to use heat srink
tubing or some other method.

Is that correct ?

90% correct. The usual method is to insulate the exposed cable to
connector area with heat shrink tubing. However, you can buy XT60
connectors that have a plastic hood that will also work.
https://www.amazon.com/XT60-Connectors-Female-Male-Functional/dp/B07CWF8CRX
I'm not thrilled with the idea of hiding a crappy soldering job under
an opaque cover and prefer to use clear shrink tubing. If I forget to
install the shrink tubing, a blob of RTV (silicone caulk), between the
pins, and maybe some electrical tape will suffice if desperate.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D