Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Price of tools was So it's been kind of quiet lately ... tool semi review

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:55:02 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 12/8/2020 9:46 AM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 12/8/2020 2:26 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote in
:

***** Other end is what my Dad said about stereos: if you have a ten
dollar ear, no sense buying a hundred dollar stereo.** Of course, he
said that a long time ago.

I held on to standard definition TVs for a long time with that exact
reasoning.* The picture still looked good enough for me.* Now
everything's
gone hi-def and the new TVs are worth it.

Puckdropper

;~)* We bought a 40" flatscreen hi def TV about 13 years ago for $2.2k.

My wife thought that was too big.

Then a 70" Sharp TV in 2013.* The first did not last a year and was
replaced under warranty.* The second did not last 2 weeks.

My wife thought that was too big.

So we went with a 65" Samsung and still have it.

My wife thinks it is too small.

Well, you can probably get a 70 or 75" one now for less than you paid
for the 65-incher.** I remember looking at the 20-30" LED versions at
Sears for $3K.* One of the reasons for the "bargains", of course, is
that the manufacturers are subsidizing the price by selling your viewing
data.

I can get a 70 or 75 for $600.

Viewing data... Or competition and a way to manufacture cheaper.

I bought a 4/5 18" NEC monitor in 2000. $850.00

Now I have a 28" UHD Samsung monitor. $300. No viewing data.

I love this monitor. Lines, in Sketchup, that are not vertical or
horizontal, but are at some angle, are no longer made up of that big zig
zag pixel pattern. They are straight and narrow, at least to me. ;~)
I know, they are still sig zag but you have to get up real close to
notice.

With proper aliasing, the zaggies are even less pronounced.