Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Acoustat Electrostatic Speakers

On 8/12/2020 2:46 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:
=================

https://www.rageaudio.com.au/index.php?p=1_12

Check out the dip at 15kHz.

** Very easy load for any sanely built amp.

Trouble for your nutty MEs - were they ??

**The ME850, with zero global NFB, a 2.5kVA power transformer, 245,000uF
and 70 Amps of continuous (till the mains fuse fails) current capacity?
None at all. Perfectly stable, regardless of load. A perfect match for
any ESL (or any other speaker, in fact). The ME1400 would do even
better, without raising a sweat (5kVA power transformer, 310,000uF and
100 Amps).

** You omitted the *very real* risk of damaging the input power limiter of a Quad ESL63 and any of its relatives.

But that speaker is not a problem load just because it dips at 15kHz.

**Both amps would certainly fry the TRIAC(?), if pushed. If I recall
correctly, the ME850 (maximum output Voltage = 31 VRMS) would not exceed
the maximum Voltage limits of the ESL63? The ME1400 certainly would (42
VRMS). Overkill for the ESL63.

Let me know, I'll send one over for you to listen to. I'll cover freight
both ways.

FWIW: Musos love the way ME amps deal with transients. Musos seem to be
acutely attuned to the way a system delivers transients.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au