Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter W. Peter W. is offline

Default Acoustat Electrostatic Speakers

My brother has a very vintage pair of Acoustat speakers driven from what he describes to me as an Acoustech IV pre-amp, distinguished by having phono-jack outputs directly to the speakers. Which have large, heavy, powered boxes attached. After many years of sitting unused, they went silent on him. I suspect the pre-amp, but at-a-distance, I cannot be sure. No, I do not have the model number of the speakers, but they are self-powered, very nearly 2 meters tall, just over 6 feet, There are three fuses on the back, a removable power-cord, an on-off switch, the 1/4" phono jack input and a 5-position treble boost/cut knob. Which should narrow it down.

Question: is that specialized pre-amp required, or would any normal audio pre-amp do?

Thanks in advance!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA