Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Outdoor radiant (IR?) heaters - experiences?

On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 19:21:50 +0000, wrote:

snip

I doubt you'll get any support for riding a bike on the pavement,
regardless of speed.

What makes you think I need / want any (even though I rarely do). ;-)

Maybe it's just 'round here' but there is a constant flow of cycles on
the pavement across peoples of all ages. The 'Lycra racers' tend to
stay on the road though, till they come to a traffic light, *then*
they will use the pavements.

The bottom line and ITRW of course is common sense. If a pavement is
dual use for a couple of miles, then goes pedestrian only because of
some other road design issue for a few yards and then back to dual use
again, who (inc the Police) is going to do anything, *as_long_as*
people are being careful / respectful?

I also regularly see ... electric scooters on the pavement and road
(illegal), an IC engine powered cycle on the road (illegal), 'off
roaders' with no number plates and being ridden by lads with no crash
helmet (very illegal) and kids on cycles riding on the back wheel (on
the road and pavement), illegal. I even saw two lads on electric
scooters ride up to a group of Police outside a pub who were dealing
with an issue of some sort and the scooters didn't seem to be an issue
(as they both rode off on them again).

As usual it's a tiny and ignorant / selfish minority that spoil it for
the rest, not necessarily because of what they are doing, but how they
are doing it. 40 mph past the school gates at 2am in the dry is
unlikely to be an issue. 20mph past the same gates at 3pm in the fog
is more likely to be.

... now back to DIY.

Good idea ...

Talking of heaters ... I designed and my mate printed the replacement
back and front parts of a heater outlet control knob for his VW van.
He just wanted it to work and look similar and this is the first
attempt:
https://ibb.co/ysZYd8W

He said it was *much* easier than using pliers. ;-)

Now I'm going to design and print a switch knob for the Main / Dip on
daughters new (to her) motorbike (and I also have the same make
model). Chances are it would be a whole new (if still available)
control assembly if it was to get damaged / go missing so better be
safe while I have one to copy (off mine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m