Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Outdoor radiant (IR?) heaters - experiences?

On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 13:48:16 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I realise '*right thing* simply isn't on the radar of a selfish
minority and they will inevitably spoil it for the majority.

How do you define the "right thing" though?

Most the time is though the eyes of how it might (negatively) affect
anyone else (assuming it's legal in the first place etc).

More to the point, who's
agenda is being satisfied with the chosen value of "right"?

I'd say 'most peoples'. You or I probably wouldn't actually need that
list written out, we would know what things would be considered fair
or reasonable without.

So, you decide that providing radiant warmth for those sitting outside
is morally wrong.

I haven't said that John.

Perhaps those that are unable to visit thier loved
ones inside due to social distancing rules, would disagree with you,

Why would they? I haven't visited any 'loved ones' as such since the
lockdown and there is no way I'd want to try to warm 'outdoors' if I
was to sit in their garden?

and
argue that protecting their mental health is more important and hence
the right thing to do.

If there were no other solutions maybe. I bough everone in our close
family a Portal for example and my Mum, the only one in the group on
her own (at 90+) chats to all of us regularly on it (in the warm)?

What about if the heat source is "carbon neutral" (if that is the reason
you object to radiant space heating)?

No, it's the whole concept of trying to heat 'outdoors' when it's
outdoors? Now, I'm not trying to suggest that's what IR heaters are
trying to do but the point stands. Where would you draw the line?
Polar expedition with camps setup in a huge dome, heated with electric
heaters fed by a sub?

Or is that then just a slippery
slope to BBQing some unfortunate mammal that we previously raped

I hadn't even though of that because if you are trying to make animal
flesh digestible by humans by cooking it there is normally a supply of
heat there in the first place (and typically a perfectly equipped
kitchen to do so in as well).

without
it's prior written consent?

I though better of your John. ;-(

I saw something on Youtube re some folk who were living in their vans

snip

Bill would be the one

Sorry I missed the post where Bill elected you to be his spokesman.

It happened soon after Bill determined he could do anything he liked,
as long as it was legal.

Cheers, T i m