Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Outdoor radiant (IR?) heaters - experiences?

On Thu, 03 Dec 2020 19:28:04 +0000, nothanks wrote:

On 03/12/2020 16:22, David wrote:
We have an outdoor area at the rear of the house which is a wooden deck
with a plastic sloping roof to keep (some of) the rain off.
I say "some of" because the rain is blowing in and almost reaching the
bifolds.

The deck/roof is roughly 2.3 metres deep and 2.5 metres high.

I was contemplating adding some heating to allow us to sit out on cold
clear days so I am looking for advice.
There are weather proof 13 Amp sockets within the area of this veranda.

The obvious solution seems to be IR heaters high up the wall or on the
rafters below the roof.

I've started looking at IR heaters and there is a vast range of prices
for things which look remarkable similar, from around £70 to £300 for
1.5 kW wall mounted strips.

I am slightly bemused that these trendy modern IR heaters look
remarkably like the electric wall heaters that used to be found in
bathrooms, but I suspect that the same idea is in use - direct heat
onto the body instead of trying to warm the whole room. Just more
modern technology in the heat source.

Do these things work effectively?

The big sod off gas ones found outside pubs do seem to chuck out some
heat, but I am assuming that bottled gas is no cheaper than mains
electricity.

Free standing might make them also work in the shed but I'm not sure
that will work in practice, and permanently mounted seems a much neater
solution.

Please consider wearing a hat and coat instead. We all waste far too
much energy without adding to the waste with more of these ridiculous
things.

For all those replying that we should wear a coat, woolly jumper, etc. as
if we haven't considered this, please assume that we have considered this
and have decided that for our requirements some additional heat is a
better option.

We also have central heating, which we use to keep the house at a
comfortable temperature for us.
We could go without heating (done that in my childhood), or turn it right
down and wear outdoor clothing indoors.
We prefer to be comfortable.

Telling us just to put a coat on is not helpful in the context of this
question.

Cheers

Dave R